“To secure for the workers by hand or by brain the full fruits of their industry and the most equitable distribution thereof that may be possible upon the basis of the common ownership of the means of production, distribution and exchange, and the best obtainable system of popular administration and control of each industry or service.”Pre-1995 constitution of the Labour Party
Labour4Clause4 is a campaign set up by Labour Party members and trade unionists. Our aim is to push for the restoration of Clause 4 – Labour’s commitment to common ownership and socialism.
There has never been a better time to bring back Clause 4. Privatisation has proved an unmitigated disaster. Support for nationalisation is on the rise. There is revulsion against big business and bankers.
The collapse of Carillion. The failure of PFI and outsourcing. And rip-off prices for rail travel, water, and energy. All of these show that the market does not work. The only thing it is ‘efficient’ at is funneling money from ordinary people into the hands of shareholders and fat-cat company directors.
We need to take the economy out of the hands of the profiteers and loan sharks and place it in the hands of working people.
Our goal is to raise the demand for restoration of Clause 4 throughout the labour movement, in every Labour Party and trade union branch.
This year is the centenary anniversary of the adoption of Clause 4 by the Labour Party. Help us make it the year when the Labour Party restores Clause 4 and once again commits itself to the fight for socialism.
Read more about the history of Clause4
Get in touch to help the campaign or to find out more information
5 ways you can get involved and help with the Labour4Clause4 campaign:
- Add your name to our campaign statement and join our mailing list for campaign updates.
- Organise a Labour4Clause4 Roadshow meeting in your area and invite a campaign speaker.
- Donate to our campaign (either through PayPal below or through our crowdfunding appeal) or affiliate your organisation to the campaign.
- Pass our model motion in your Labour Party CLP or trade union branch.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter, and share updates from the campaign on social media.